Recently I noticed that I spend a lot of time thinking about the best way to use my time; and I wanted to share a few tips and tricks that I use to manage my time:
- Clean your workspace
- This is a newer strategy that I implemented, and I can already tell that it is making a significant difference. Doing this allows me to start working without distracting myself or wasting time cleaning
- Identify “peak” and “non-peak” times
- Start by identifying your “peak” and “non-peak” times. For me, I work the best in the morning and after lunch, and I tend to work the worst after 4 PM. This allows me to work on my most difficult tasks during my peak times.
- Work during “peak” times
- Whenever my brain has these times I try to accomplish as many tasks as I can. I know this may seem fairly obvious but, it helped me when I became aware of it.
- Organize and prioritize during “non-peak” times
- This is connected to the tip from above. Except when you can tell you are not working at your best do a simple task like clean or make a list of what work you want to do. I like to chunk a large assignment or tasks into smaller parts and this makes my time very efficient.
- Get all your materials ready before working
- By this I mean get out things like pencils, papers, laptop chargers, etc. You want to be able to fully take advantage of when your brain is working at its best. You do not want to be searching for an item and risk becoming distracted and lose all of your momentum.
- Try to make your work fun
- This may seem like the most difficult step, but I believe that it is the most rewarding when you can take the “work” out of your work. If it feels like less of a chore you will not neglect it (as I used to do).
- Reward Yourself after the job is done
- This should help the previous task a bit easier, it does not need to be an extravagant reward, it can be simple as candy or watching TV. It really helps me to have something to look forward to when I am studying
I hope you appreciated some time management strategies, I want to know about what strategies the you use to maximize your time.